Lisbon Rules 1987
In these Rules, the following words are used with the meaning set out below:
- “Collision” means any accident involving two or more vessels which causes loss or damage even if no actual contact has taken place.
- “Claimant” means any person, corporate body or legal entity to whom damages are due in respect of loss or damage (excluding death and personal injury) as a result of a collision.
- “Damages” means the financial compensation payable to the Claimant.
- “Total Loss” means an actual total loss of the vessel or such damage to the vessel that the cost of saving and repairing her would exceed her market value at the time of the collision.
- “Property” means cargo, goods and other thing on board a vessel.
- “Freight” means the remuneration payable for the carriage by the vessel of property or passengers or for the use of the vessel.
- “Detention” means the period of time during which the Claimant is deprived of the use of the vessel.